Monday, September 01, 2008

Labour Day Weekend 2008




I had a really nice, quiet weekend camping with my husband and dogs in Monroe, MI. This wasn't the skunky campground - this is the one that is just 28 miles from our home, but feels like we are very far away. What a great feeling. Alan and I took Friday off work to make it a nice long weekend. I spent a good amount of time this weekend with needle, thread and beads in my hand working on month one of the Bead Journal Project.
I originally was going to have a hawk as my first month, but I really love this owl. For some reason, when my mother visited me in Germany (while I lived there), she learned the German word for owl: Eule.

From Wikipedia: Owls are an order of birds of prey. Most are solitary, and nocturnal, with some exceptions (e.g. the Burrowing Owl). They are classified in the order Strigiformes, in which there are over 200 extant species. Owls mostly hunt small mammals, insects, and other birds, though a few species specialize in hunting fish. They are found in all regions of the Earth except Antarctica, most of Greenland, and some remote islands. Though owls are typically solitary, the literary collective noun for a group of owls is a parliament.

I also worked quite a bit on Neuschwanstein Castle. I finished work on the castle towers and started some of the trees in the front. I hadn't really worked on this since April but I do like how it's coming along.

18 comments:

Robin said...

Wow, Liz... this is teriffic!!! I didn't notice at first that it was an owl, but did as soon as you mentioned loving owls. Remember when they were such a popular decor motif? I'm glad to see yours isn't like that. Great work! Robin A.

Heartwideopen said...

Wow! What a cool shape and theme. I was actualy thinking of birds as a theme also...but since this is my first time doing something like this, mine will be very simply styled. Are all your months going to be puzzle pieces? What wonderful inspiration. Debi M

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

Love it, Liz --- but then, I always love your beading.
Jackie

a2susan said...

I really like the idea of a puzzle piece. Very different from last year's shape.

abeadlady said...

Great start for the year, Liz! It will be interesting to see you develop this puzzle theme.

The castle is looking wonderful. It won't be long until you have it finished. What are you going to do with it when it's done?

Arline

Denise said...

Hey Liz!!
Thanks for the comment, you are so totally the inspiration there, and I didn't do it half so well as you!
I must admit that it took me a few tries before I saw the owl! I really love what you are doing here! Oh and then you have to blow me away with the castle! It's so amazing, with that gorgeous beading and colour choice!
I was camping close to home this weekend too and the weather was amazing. It was one of the best camping trips of the summer!
cheers, Denise

KV said...

Awesome stuff, Liz! And how cool to see the castle again . . .


Kathy V in NM

shebaduhkitty said...

I love the puzzle shape. Are you going to hook them altogether?

Z'anne said...

Great piece, Liz! I, like the others, didn't see the owl right away until you mentioned it and then up it pops. Tres Cool!
AND....the castle is Fabulous! Can't wait to see it completed.

pam T said...

Love it! and here I felt like I was cheating starting early and you are done with September! The castle is amazing...
pam T

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

This is just so cool! Love the totally bead encrusted look and the shape is too cool!

Summer said...

I really love it! For some reason it feels like the perfect late summer piece. Maybe it's because I heard a barn owl outside my window just last week... it took me awhile to realize it was an owl rather than my 1 1/2 year old. Needless to say, I was thrilled:)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

O, you are a creative inspiration. Love your owl in a puzzle. The castle is terrific!

Ellen said...

Amazing - on both counts! I saw the owl but I have been taking notice of owls, as my sister collects them & it's in the back of my mind to bead her one some day.. Yours promises to be delightful! AND Your castle is fantastic, I love, love, love it!

The bad Liz said...

Thanks everyone for the comments - I had fun with the owl - a good friend of mine is a owl lover and I was thinking of her when I beaded this month. I am having fun checking out everyone's blogs and seeing what they have been up to. My BJP favorites list is growing daily!

Liz

The Lone Beader® said...

I am really loving the castle!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful work and theme Liz!! <3

And BJP is such a fun project for bringing beaders together from all over the world!

Have a nice day Liz!

Pursuing Art... said...

Hi Liz...I'm finally catching up with the BJP members and seeing everyone's progress.

I love your theme this year and your September piece is just lovely! I am looking forward to seeing your other puzzle pieces! I, too, loved the puzzle dolls when I first saw them and what a great idea to use it for you BJP!

Your castle is just stunning!!!

~Lisa ;-)